From Equality Texas:
Council resolution seeks to ensure that all persons enjoy the freedom to marry
On September 27, the Austin City Council will vote on a Council resolution sponsored by Mayor Pro Tem Cole and co-sponsored by Mayor Leffingwell and Council Member Morrison proclaiming their support for marriage equality. This is the first time in recent history that so many local advocacy organizations in Austin have united in support of equality.
The Council resolution recognizes that marriage is a powerful and important affirmation of love and commitment and a source of social support and recognition. Passage of this resolution will send the message to state and national leaders that Austin is a community that values equality for all its citizens. The resolution will also send the message that the City of Austin believes all couples in loving and committed relationships should be given the opportunity to create stronger and more successful families through civil marriage.
Join Equality Texas, the Anti-Defamation League, the Human Rights Campaign, the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund, the NAACP and allgo as they stand together in support of marriage equality and call on Austin city leadership to support equality for all.
WHERE: Austin City Hall, Media Room 1034, 301 W. 2nd Street, Austin, TX 78701
WHEN: Thursday, September 27th at 9:30 a.m.
- Mayor Lee Leffingwell
- Mayor Pro Tem Sheryl Cole
- Council Member Place 4 Laura Morrison
- Chuck Smith, Interim Executive Director Equality Texas
- Nelson Linder, President NAACP Austin Chapter
- Jeff Lutes & Gary Stein, Married couple whose marriage is not recognized in Texas
- Representatives from ADL, HRC, MALDEF, allgo and the Austin/Travis County Hate Crimes Task Force and more.