Sign Up for the Outsmart Newsletter
Find us on Facebook
Celebrate with us!
PFLAG-HATCH Youth Scholarship Foundation (PHYSF), one of the nation’s largest providers of college support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) youth, awarded $85,000 in scholarships to 37 outstanding Texas students, who will attend 21 different colleges and universities.
“Among our recipients are student leaders, scientists, artists, activists, and scholars, all of whom have the potential to lead the next generation and strengthen our GLBT community,” said David Schwan, PHYSF president. “The scholarship foundation is grateful for our friends and corporate supporters who believe in these students’ outstanding achievements.”
The scholarships range from a one-year $1,000 scholarship to a four-year $10,000 scholarship. Since its founding in 1999, PHYSF has awarded over $1.1 million in scholarships to hundreds of students. Students must have graduated from a Houston-area high school or attend a college or university in the Houston area to qualify, and scholarships are awarded based on academic excellence, leadership, extracurricular activities, and financial need.
This year’s scholarships and their recipients are:
• Alley Theatre Scholarship: Amanda Kelso
• Todd Amdor & Matthew Stone Scholarship: Manuel Ronquillo
• David Arpin & Alex Martinez Scholarship: Jordan Mills
• Bracewell & Giuliani Scholarship: Darren Arquero
• Tony Carroll & Bruce Smith Scholarship: Rebecca Keo
• Bryan Cotton Properties Scholarship: Chayanne Solorzano
• Bill & Sandra Byczek Scholarship: Michael Baerga
• Trevor Eade & Stephen Hill Scholarship: Stephanie Mercer
• Linda Enger Scholarship: Jose Castaneda
• EPAH (The Executive & Professional Association of Houston) Scholarship: Katelyn Edwards
• Tom Fricke Scholarship: Robert Phillips
• Kenner Harris Scholarships: Brian Dobry and Yesenia Chavez
• Hollyfield Foundation Scholarships: Luis Cervantes, Rocky Cooley, Stewart Gaitan, Kory Gressett, Danny Roe, Jessica Trammel, Michael Tran, Huy Truong, and Kendrick Woodard
• King & Spalding Scholarship: Michael Sell
• Jim Kovach & Ben Montalbano Scholarship: Milo Falconi
• Krewe of Olympus Scholarships: Allen Robbins, Joan Valladares
• F. U. Livani Scholarship: Miguel Martinez
• Robert Major Scholarship: Juan Lerma
• OutSmart Magazine Scholarship: Alexander Brown
• Mayor Annise Parker & Kathy Hubbard Honorary Scholarship: Javier Rivera
• PFLAG-Houston Scholarship: Alicia Kirkland
• PHYSF Scholarship: Desarie Walwyn
• Tim Surratt & Mike Holloman Scholarship: David Rendon
• Gordon Weisser Memorial Scholarship: Michael Brule
• Curtis Wolff Scholarships: Matthew Kim and Lenzi Daniel.
PFLAG-HATCH Youth Scholarship Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation, is one of the most successful LGBT scholarship-granting foundations in the United States, and it relies on individuals, foundations, and corporate support in order to grant scholarships to qualifying students. To contribute to the foundation, or to apply for scholarships, visit physf.org.