As many Houstonians return to a sense of normalcy this month, there are fresh events this weekend to continue Harvey relief, gear up for November elections, or just plain celebrate Fall.
• On Saturday night, Miss LSVA and South Beach present a benefit for Harvey relief. Doors open at 7 p.m., and the show begins at 8. All proceeds will go to The Montrose Center’s LGBTQ Harvey relief fund. Tickets can be purchased here.
• Also Saturday night, the rescheduled Houston Roller Derby championships are set for 7 p.m. at the Revention Music Center. There will be two games: the third place game between Bayou City Bosses and The Valkyries, and the championship game between HRD Brawlers and Psych Ward Sirens. General admission is $15, and tickets can be purchased here. An After Party will be held at Christian’s Tailgate White Oak to follow.
• On Saturday and Sunday, Galveston is hosting a free beach weekend with special promotions to benefit Harvey victims. The “Galveston Cares” weekend will have free beach access, free parking on the Seawall, free trolleys, and even a fireworks show to honor first responders. More details here.
• To finish the weekend, there will be two brunch events on Sunday. The Houston GLBT Political Caucus will have its 9th Annual Equality Brunch at Hotel Zaza from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tickets can be purchased here. And Montrose Grace Place, which serves homeless LGBTQ youth, will host the Mimosas with Meaning benefit from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Tickets and more info here.
• Finally, Bunnies on the Bayou—the nonprofit that benefits local LGBTQ organizations—will host its Bunnies in Heat event at Henderson Heights from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. There’s a $5 suggested donation, and all proceeds benefit Bunnies on the Bayou.