Journey of the Universe
Feb. 27, 6:30 – 8 p.m. – Film
most Mondays & Fridays thru Apr. 17, 6:30 – 8 p.m. – Educational Series
Christ the King Evangelical Lutheran Church invites you to go on the Journey of the Universe. This Emmy-award winning documentary narrates the 14 billion year story of the universe’s development in a way that is accessible to everyone. The film tells a comprehensive story drawing on astronomy and physics to explain the emergence of galaxies and stars, geology and chemistry to understand the formation of Earth, biology and botany to trace life’s evolution, and anthropology and history to see the rise of humans. Journey weaves science and humanities in a new way that allows for a comprehensive sense of mystery and awe to arise. This approach expands the human perspective beyond an anthropocentric worldview to one that values life’s complexity and sees the role of humans as critical to the further flourishing of the Earth community. There are hundreds of thousands of people around the planet who are participating in this transformative work for the environment, energy, agriculture, economics, education, and the arts. This also includes work for sustainable cities and improved racial relations. Many of these specialists are interviewed in a 20 part educational series of filmed conversations. All sessions (documentary & educational series) will be held simultaneously at the University of St. Thomas, Robertson Hall, as well as online, via web meeting, from 6:30 – 8 p.m. Time for discussion is included in the schedule. Please register at www.eventbrite.com (search for Journey of the Universe in Houston, TX) if you will attend any session, whether attending in person or online. Light refreshments will be provided at the university. Join us on the journey of the universe! See details below.
• Feb. 27, 6:30 – 8 p.m.
• Mar. 3 Beginning of the Universe & Galaxies Forming
• Mar. 6 The Emanating Brilliance of Stars & Birth of the Solar System
• Mar. 20 Life’s Emergence & Learning, Living, and Dying
• Mar. 24 The Passion of Animals & The Origin of the Human
Mar. 27 Becoming a Planetary Presence & Transition
• Mar. 31 Breakthrough Communities & Eco-Cities
• Apr. 3 Ecological Economics & Permaculture
• Apr. 7 Indigenous Ways of Knowing & Sustainable Energy
• Apr. 10: Healing and Revisioning & Arts and Justice
• Apr. 17 Myths, Metaphors, and Identities & Teaching Journey of the Universe