Partners: Grace Place and Human Rights Campaign
Let’s come together as a community to serve LGBTQ homeless youth on MLK Day of Service. Taking place in January, MLK Day of Service is a “day on, not a day off.” It is a way to transform Dr. King’s life and teachings into community action to help bring together people, strengthen communities, and meet national challenges.
One such challenge is homelessness among LGBTQ youth, who make up to 40 percent of homeless and at-risk youth. HRC and Grace Place invite you to partner with us on a service project benefiting homeless and at-risk youth in your community, including LGBTQ youth.
How can you make a difference? By donating items and volunteering your time.
Donate Items or Organize a Donation Drive By January 15
Please help us collect the following items for the youth served by our partner organizations:
- Unopened travel-sized toiletries including insect repellant, sunscreen, individual rolls of toilet paper, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, deodorant, disposable razors, shaving cream, sun block, and tampons / sanitary pads
- Winter accessories such as disposable hand warmers, gloves, scarves, “Houston winter” coats, and warm hats (red and blue colors are not preferred)
- New and unopened socks and underwear (for all sizes and genders)
- Gently-used shirts, pants, shorts, and shoes
- Reusable water bottles and/or unopened bottled water
- Emergency and first-aid supplies such as small flashlights and batteries, lighters, small first aid kits, and rain ponchos.
- Small snack items such as beef jerky and snack packs
– Please purchase these items through this Wish List and ship them to the Gift Registry Address in this Wish List.
– Please consider organizing a donation drive at your work, school, or place of worship. If you are interested, please contact Brad Odom-Harris, HRC Houston MLK Day of Service Project Manager at [email protected].
– Please personally donate these items. Please label them “MLK DOS” and drop them off at the following location:
Jenni’s Noodle House (Heights or Shepherd Locations Only)
Open 7 Days A Week (11:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m., except Sundays 12:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.)
602 East 20th St or 3111 S Shepherd Drive
Azur West Salon (in West Ave above Jonathan Adler)
Tuesday – Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. | Friday 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
2800 Kirby Drive, Suite A-216
Snow Bunnies – Bunnies on the Bayou Winter Event
Sunday, January 17, 2016
Grace Lutheran Church
Monday, January 18, 2016
9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
2515 Waugh Drive, Houston, TX 77006
On Monday, January 18, please volunteer with HRC Houston for a service project that will benefit Grace Place and the youth they serve. Volunteer opportunities include sorting collective drive items, assembling them into care packages, delivering collection drive items to partner organizations, and other projects needed by Grace Place.
Monday, January 18
9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Grace Lutheran Church – Grace Place
2515 Waugh Drive
Houston, TX 77006
For more information, please contact Brad Odom-Harris, HRC Houston MLK Day of Service Project Manager, at [email protected].
For more information about MLK Day of Service, please visit hrc.org/mlkdayofservice.